PRODUCT, PRACTICE AND KNOWLEDGE (PPK) GROUP AT BAIN
Over the past two decades, Bain has formalized Industry and Capability areas, internally known as “Practices”, integral to how Bain wins and delivers results to its clients. The Product, Practice, and Knowledge group at Bain fosters innovation and supports delivery of our consulting staff. The PPK group is filled with world-class business leaders, product owners, engineers and knowledge specialists. The PPK group is critical to our commercial success and are a key strategic priority within Bain. Specifically, the PPK Group defines and implements their own strategy and allocates resources in order to:
For an overview of Bain’s Industry and Capability Practice architecture, go to the Global Experience Center (GXC) or visit www.Bain.com.
This product manage role will be supporting the Global Telecom practice. You will be working with the most senior Telecom leaders including the Global Telecom Practice Head. You will be reporting to the Practice Principal over the Media and Telecom practice.
The Practices are critical to commercial success and are a key strategic priority within Bain.
The Practices are growing & evolving—lots of opportunity. And high visibility.
PRACTICE AND ROLE SPECIFICS
The Telecom practice analyst will report to the Telecom & Media Practice Principal. It will be responsible for a number of different analytical initiatives within the practice. The work could be working for the practice principal or for another Telecom affiliate. .
The Telecom practice analyst can be based in any Bain office in North America and should expect to travel 20% of the time.
The global telecom practice has created a new to Bain role that is a blend of product development, product management and product delivery. This role will be vital to the commercial success of the Telecom practice. This is a unique position within Bain as it has three core focuses. You will be running a startup and incubator within the Telecom practice.
ADDITIONAL KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
1. SUPPORT PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT OF OUR TELECOM NPS NAVIGATOR
• Support Product Manager in product development and delivery of Telecom insights to subscription customers
o Collaborate with our customers to design and develop new surveys
o Collaborate with our research and delivery vendor to program and test new surveys and manage survey quotas
o Analyze the data and create client-ready visualization dashboards with support from our vendors and the Telecom Center of Excellence (team based in India)
o Perform a variety of advanced statistical and data mining techniques such as, but not limited to: verbatim analysis using machine learning, multivariate and logistic regressions, time series analysis, etc.
o Participate in client meetings and be responsive to client questions around the data and insights
o Provide ongoing customer support for subscription customers, such as additional data cuts and responding to questions about the data/methodology.
• Support commercialization efforts, including conducting analysis for proposals and conducting product demos with prospective clients
• Help improve/refine the delivery model, including close collaboration with necessary vendors, database maintenance, and support teams (e.g. BCC Center of Excellence)
• Support broader product roadmap priorities, including:
o Provide input into the product vision and long-term / near-term priorities
o Work with target geographies to develop the product approach in new markets for Telecom NPS Navigator
• Collaborate with other Bain customer experience-related benchmarking efforts and help drive consistency in approach and delivery model
• Keep abreast of new and current statistical, database and market research techniques and provide input to improve Telecom NPS Navigraor
2. SUPPORT HIGH PRIORITY CLIENT DEVELOPMENT EFFORTS
• Creates portions of client ready materials for key client development efforts, leveraging knowledge of previous proposals/client developmental activities and practice IP
• Provides valued comments and insights during client developmental meetings and affiliate reviews
3. PROVIDES ANALYTICAL AND THOUGHT SUPPORT TO PRACTICE LED INITIATIVES
• Acts as a thought partner with the PAM and PAC to develop and build out the practice IP roadmap
• Own sections of Practice IP and drive insights:
o Identify and use secondary sources to understand outside perspectives, differences between secondary sources and develop a recommendation on the right go forward path knowing the tradeoffs between topics
o Validate findings with senior level audiences
o Develop robust assumption driven analytical models that incorporate all input and allow for scenarios of output. Work with affiliate IP owners to ensure model can be transitioned to case teams needing support
o Develop results / answer first storylines for sections of the practice IP
• Represent/present practice IP to senior affiliates
4. BE VIEWED AS A ROLE MODEL
Drives implementation of operational improvements, seeks out and drives high-value targeted projects, apprentices junior team members, receives strong upward feedback, drives cross-practice collaboration, training, experience sharing, mentoring and other initiatives
KEY CANDIDATE QUALIFICATIONS
• Bachelor’s degree required.
Master’s degree in quantitative discipline preferred.• Concentration in a quantitative discipline such as Statistics, Mathematics, Engineering, Computer Science, Econometrics, Business Analytics, or Market Research is strongly preferred.
• 3+ years of in-depth experience with customer insights /primary market research and analytics at a consulting firm, market research agency or data provider
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
• Exceptional analytic and technical skills, including knowledge of market research tools, data science and business intelligence tools, and advanced analytical tools such as Alteryx and Tableau
• Experience in a professional services firm environment with exposure to one or more of the following functional disciplines: consulting, marketing, research, strategic planning, business development, product development, and/or project management
• Good business sense combined with structured problem solving and analytical abilities
• Pragmatic and results-focused while still being organized and attentive to detail
• Ability to keep calm under pressure, prioritize tasks and quickly move to decision-making
• Strong communication and presentation skills. Ability to lead persuasive discussions with senior business executives within Bain
• Excellent written and verbal ability
• Driven by intellectual curiosity with the ability to self-motivate and work semi-autonomously
• Superior customer service attitude and ability to lead within a team
Irrespective of an individual’s specific background, the successful candidate will be:
• Collaborative – someone who knows how to work with and through others to drive results and make change happen, and is customer service oriented
• Entrepreneurial, proactive, and productive - someone who knows how to prioritize what needs to be done and rallies colleagues to get things accomplished; “roll up the sleeves” type of attitude
• Bright – both insightful and creative, with strong problem-solving skills and pragmatic, with a practical, “real-world” sense of what is actually “do-able”. Possesses an affinity for data-driven insights to make decisions, and able to harness knowledge and expertise of the best content to support the Practice
• Articulate and compelling in his/her oral and written communication skills; engaging and concise – with interpersonal “presence”; adaptable across executive, technical and Bain audiences
• Energetic, with drive, enthusiasm, and natural skills in relationship development – ability to develop an extensive network of relevant relationships both internally and externally, as required
• Inspirational Leadership - track record of successfully managing high-performing team members, motivating and developing colleagues above and below their own tenure
• A great colleague and teammate - passionate about the task at hand and fun to be around; someone with whom Bainies and clients go out of their way to work