- This is an opportunity to be a key member of Bain’s expanding advanced analytics capability area. This position will be part of the Advanced Analytics Group (Bain’s team of Operations Research, Data Science, Engineering, Marketing Science and Primary research experts).
- The role will focus on applying demand forecasting and sales & operations planning to address clients’ business problems; providing expertise in forecasting and other operations research techniques within the Advanced Analytics Group; and coaching client-facing consultants on implementation, interpretation, and communication of forecasting solutions.
- This person can be located in LA, SF, Boston, Dallas, Chicago or Atlanta
- Scope and identify opportunities to improve client forecast models through better data and information, better assumptions and inputs, better algorithms and forecast methods, and better use of existing planning/forecasting systems
- Execute data queries and data engineering to identify opportunities and prepare to build forecasts using a variety of data sources including sales, promotion, marketing, economic, weather and other data.
- Build forecast models using a variety of methods, including statistical, consensus and collaborative, and machine learning approaches and guide putting these models into production inside client systems
- Generate insights on demand drivers and opportunities to improve forecast and planning processes.
- Identify and communicate insights; model processes and functions; limitations and risks. Assist client-facing consultants in developing recommendations.
- Advise or build visualization and decision support tools to facilitate use of algorithms by clients in day-to-day business operations after Bain projects end
- Train and coach consultants on basic forecasting procedures. Assist in knowledge transfer and deployment with end-clients
- Train and coach other AAG colleagues on skills, processes and tools required to support forecasting and other operations research work
- Stay abreast of developments in the field and continue to advance Bain capabilities to serve clients
- The person in this role will need the ability to:
- Communicate effectively with analytics/data experts, Bain consulting teams, client business leaders and executives of all levels to assess opportunities and develop analytics solutions for Bain clients
- Translate business objectives into data and analytics solutions using appropriate methodologies
- Design, execute and direct demand forecasting, sales & operations planning, and other operations research projects
- Think creatively and adapt to novel applications and new business contexts
- Experience building forecasts for a variety of business applications including forecasts to support strategic initiatives, planning, demand shaping, daily baseline models.
- Experience with building forecasts for a variety of contexts, e.g. service demand, sales and operations planning, inventory, and econometric forecasts
- Expertise using a wide range of statistical forecasting methodologies: ARIMA and related time series, causal/structural, consensus, traditional and ensemble techniques
- Experience with applications of machine learning techniques to forecasting, e.g. Gradient Boosting Machines, Neural Nets, Bayesian methods, etc.
- Familiar with working with data from ERP systems, enterprise planning and forecasting systems, and cloud based forecasting and planning tools; ideal candidate will have experience on where can automate forecasting process and how to best enable human-in-the-loop processes
- Experience working with internal sources and suppliers (backward, upstream) and customers (forward, downstream) to improve forecasts
- Strong data engineering and data science skills.
- Master’s degree or higher in a related discipline such as Industrial Engineering, Operations Research, quantitative Management Science, Statistics, Mathematics, or Computer Science (or equivalent work experience)
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong skills in scoping, problem definition and problem solving under time constraints
- Must thrive in a fast paced environment and be able to work independently
- 50% travel is likely
Nice to have
- Knowledge and experience applying demand forecasting in a services context (e.g., airline yield management, field scheduling & routing)
- Experience with a broader range of operations research applications (e.g. predictive maintenance, supply chain analytics, simulation and optimization)
- Experience with a variety of statistical, modelling and data analytics tools, e.g. SAS, SAS/OR, SPSS, R, Python, SQL, ORACLE etc.
- Familiarity with enterprise forecasting systems (e.g., Oracle Demantra, JDA Demand planning, SAS Forecaster)
- Experience with VBA and SAS/OR. Optional experience with C, C++, Java.
Sorry the Share function is not working properly at this moment. Please refresh the page and try again later.
Share on your newsfeed